Is tap water really safe to drink or bathe in? The EPA estimates that over 60,000 chemicals are used within the USA, but only 91 contaminants are regulated by the Safe Drinking Water Act. The EPA has tested for 81 unregulated tap water chemicals since 1996, only begun regulation on 1. The EPA hasn’t implemented regulation on any chemicals tested, according to the Environmental Working Group.
The contaminants not only effect indoor air quality, but also our health. Using the link below you can access water testing near you.
- Since 2010, water utilities' testing has found pollutants in Americans' tap water, according to an EWG drinking water quality analysis of 30 million state water records.
- Erin Brockovich has an advocacy map that is a great tool.
Florida's Toxic Algae Crisis - Surfrider Foundation
Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking
Food Shouldn’t Be Grown with Toxic Oil Wastewater
Florida Sinkholes are Swallowing Cars: America's Water Crisis (Part 2/3)
New York's Toxic Wasteland: America's Water Crisis (Part 1/3)
The Fight for California's Fresh Water: America's Water Crisis (Part 3/3)
- Decreased Brain Volume in Adults with Childhood Lead Exposure
- Relationship between chronic lead toxicity and plasma neurotransmitters in autistic patients from Saudi Arabia.
- Toxicological Profile for Chlorophenols